Climb the career ladder with J D Wetherspoon
We’re committed to training and developing our staff.
Here are the steps which you may take on your career path...
Timeline: Up to 18 months
At Wetherspoon we call our staff 'Associates'. Our associates all have the opportunity to progress through our award winning training programme, whether you want to work behind the bar, in the kitchen, front of house on the floor or as a cleaner you can all expect the same great career path to get you to the height of your career!
You don’t need to have any previous experience as we will train you on every part of the role, you just need to be friendly and sociable and have a really positive attitude to succeed with us. And regardless of whether you want to work full time or part time you will receive the same outstanding training through our on the job training and workbooks.
Your training and development...
- On day one you’ll attend a company induction which welcomes you to our world and gives you the basic information you will need to start working with us.
- Your pub training commences the moment you start in the pub with a pub tour and specific in-pub training – this is when you will also get to meet other members of your team.
- The next step is your on the job training relative to the area you will work in and don’t worry if you’re in the kitchen, on the bar or working on the floor we will make sure someone is on hand to work alongside you showing you all you need to know.
- Once you have mastered the basics and become a fully fledged associate, you will have the opportunity to become an expert in a specialised area offered in the pub, such as coffee, ale, cellar or kitchen.
- You will also receive regular reviews and updates on your performance and training and this will form part of your training sign off as an associate.
If you are keen to progress up the ladder then the next step for you will be the team leader role. You’ll have an interview with your pub manager to find out if you are ready, if you’re not quite ready then you will work through a development plan to get you to exactly where you need to be.